Saturday 24 July 2010

'Simon's Choice' by Charlotte Castle

Simon's ChoiceSimon's Choice by Charlotte Castle

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The topic of a seven year old child dying of leukemia could have come across almost as insufferably as the fictional tragedy itself, but in Ms. Castle's hands it doesn't. It comes over exceptionally powerfully, warmly, movingly, provocatively, inevitably.

There were times I could have hugged the characters and others when I could have thrown a very sharp plate at Melissa, which means that this book probably works just as well for men as for women.

This is a really involving book which is as much about the stresses and strains of modern marriage as it is about the suffering of a dying child.

It also reminded me of Winston Churchill's famous quip when a woman MP came up to him and said "Mr. Churchill, if I were your wife I would poison your food," to which Winnie replied "Ah yes, Madam, and if I were your husband I would eat it".

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment